Facts and Figures About Stansted Airport
London Stansted Airport carries thousands of passengers to and from their chosen destinations 24 hours a day, 7 days a week and 365 days per year. Let’s take a look at some of the interesting facts and figures pertaining to the airport.
Prepare to be educated, enthralled, shocked and amused . . . .
- London Stansted Airport flies around 17.5 million passengers to and from their chosen destinations every year – and that’s a lot of people, more than the combined population of Sweden and Finland.
- This incredible number (17.5 million) means that London Stansted Airport is the third busiest of the London airports (after London Heathrow and London Gatwick naturally) and the fourth busiest in the United Kingdom.
- More than 10,000 people are currently employed at the airport although only around 1,300 are actual employees of the airport.
- London Stansted Airport flies passengers to and from more than 150 destinations in 30 different countries around the world.
- The most popular country for passengers from the airport is Spain with Alicante closely followed by Malaga.
- The most popular UK airport destination is Edinburgh, closely followed by Belfast and Glasgow.
- There is just one runway at the airport which measures almost 3050 meters long and 46 meters wide.
- 25,726 people can park their cars at the airport at any one time – if they all have one car each.
- Thanks to the fabulous express rail link to the City of London passengers can be there in only 47 minutes.
- London Stansted Airport was first opened in 1991 although the site was already an airport. The airport is currently owned and managed by Manchester Airports.
- London Stansted Airport is said to contribute around £400 million every year to the economy.